Sunday, July 19, 2009

Hall Table Moves Ahead

I was able to get a few things done today on the hall table. Namely, I added the through mortises that the 'pegs' will go through on the shelf, cut the shelf tenons down to size, and added the dovetail grooves for the drawers.
Then I spent some not-so-quality time planing down the stock for the drawer frame / cabinet. I decided to keep the sides maple, and for the top I pulled out the yew board that I purchased a few months ago. After planing it, it was lighter than I imagined, but I think that will change once the finish goes on. I don't know if the drawer fronts should be a different species, otherwise it might look like Joseph's multicolor jacket, or some rasta white dweebs' coat. (Duuude, that's mellow!!!) Probably I'll just go for the yew for the front...

The dovetails for the case couldn't be cut without some type of mistake, and that's what you'll see in the picture below. Luckily, the piece was way long so unlike my usual wont, I wasn't up #!&$* creek without a paddle.


No comments:

Post a Comment