Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Hall Table Progress

Things are coming along on the hall table. It now stands on its own two feet, so to speak. This means the top mortise & tenon are complete, and so it's on to the shelf m&t.

When I attached the legs to the top, I found out that they extend beyond the 'side' of the table (because of the curvature of the top), so I'll have to cut down the legs somewhat, but I'm thinking about approaching this by tapering them. I'm hoping that will look cool, as opposed to dorky, or un-cool. (???)

For the shelf, I went ahead and did the 'right' thing by ripping the board in half so that I could joint each piece on my 6" jointer. (I considered trying to flatten it with my planes - maybe after I have a real bench). I wasn't too fond of this method, but I can't deny that the board will come out overall flatter because of it.

Next up will be cutting the tenons on the shelf, and then trying to figure out what exactly I'm going to do with the drawers. 4 drawers? 2 drawers? No drawers? Hmmm, what will it be?

Leg with the tenons


On its own 2 feet - I hope it doesn't walk away...


Edge gluing the shelf - hopefully it will stay flat...

No comments:

Post a Comment